Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Final Action Plan Submission
After meeting with my Site Supervisor, we agreed upon the existing action plan. Together we researched data from 07-08, 08-09, and 09-10 school years. Out of 31 total teacher turnover for those years, we discovered 11 teachers left for unknown reasons. Mr. Stevenson questions whether a mentor teacher program would have helped those 11 teachers. In addition, he pointed out that the other 20 teachers left for various other reasons, none of which would have been affected by a mentor program. He questions the fact that as an administrator you can fix procedure problems and refine teacher skills through mentoring but how do you mentor/teach content not skill. He also brought forth the problem that "knowing the procedure (mentoring) and executing the procedure (mentoring) are two different things". I gained a tremendous amount of insight from my Site Supervisor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a great topic. I am at the point right now in my position that I am ready for change. I agree with your supervisor in the questions he recomended you adding or looking into. I also think it is important to ask teachers what they are wanting from their administration, school, staff, etc. Even the teachers that have been around for a while. In my situation lack of administrative support is a huge problem. Also on my campus staff commmunication and support is also an issue. So in saying that, teachers don't always leave because they are not given the right training. Even if you have the best mentor to work with, it may not be enough. The feeling of comfort is important. Maybe you could include that somehow into your mentor program.
ReplyDelete